The Rev. D. W. G. Gwynne, M.D., was a physician in holy orders. In 1853 he lived at P--- House, near Taunton, where both he and his wife "were made uncomfortable by auditory experiences to which they could find no clue," or, in common English,... Read more of "put Out The Light!" at Scary Stories.caInformational Site Network Informational
Privacy
    Home - Siouan Articles - Sioux Myths

Most Viewed

Somatology
The Siouan Mythology
The Mdewakantonwan
Alphabet
Tribal Nomenclature
The Sisitonwan Or Sisseton
The Oohe-nonpa Or Two Kettles
Phonetic And Graphic Arts
The Siha-sapa Or Blackfeet
Designation And Mode Of Camping


Least Viewed

Toiwe're
Winnebago
The Waqpe-kute
The Tutelo
The Quapaw Or Kwapa
The Waqpe-tonwan Or Wahpeton
The Ni-u'-t'a-tci Or Missouri
The Mandan
The Osage
The Itaziptco


Random Siouan Articles

Hidatsa
The Asiniboin
The Quapaw Or Kwapa
8 _monakan_
Dakota-asiniboin
The Omaha
Mandan
Winnebago
Extent Of The Stock
The Hunkpapa



Winnebago





Linguistically the Winnebago Indians are closely related to the {~LATIN SMALL LETTER TURNED T~}{~LATIN SMALL LETTER OPEN O~}iwe're
on the one side and to the Mandan on the other. They were first mentioned
in the Jesuit Relation of 1636, though the earliest known use of the name
Winnebago occurs in the Relation of 1640; Nicollet found them on Green bay
in 1639. According to Shea, the Winnebago were almost annihilated by the
Illinois (Algonquian) tribe in early days, and the historical group was
made up of the survivors of the early battles. Cbauvignerie placed the
Winnebago on Lake Superior in 1736, and Jefferys referred to them and the
Sac as living near the head of Green bay in 1761; Carver mentions a
Winnebago village on a small island near the eastern end of Winnebago lake
in 1778. Pike enumerated seven Winnebago villages existing in 1811; and in
1822 the population of the tribe was estimated at 5,800 (including 900
warriors) in the country about Winnebago lake and extending thence
southwestward to the Mississippi. By treaties in 1825 and 1832 they ceded
their lands south of Wisconsin and Fox rivers for a reservation on the
Mississippi above the Oneota; one of their villages in 1832 was at Prairie
la Grosse. They suffered several visitations of smallpox; the third, which
occurred in 1836, carried off more than a quarter of the tribe. A part of
the people long remained widely distributed over their old country east of
the Mississippi and along that river in Iowa and Minnesota; in 1840 most
of the tribe removed to the neutral ground in the then territory of Iowa;
in 1846 they surrendered their reservation for another above the
Minnesota, and in 1856 they were removed to Blue Earth, Minnesota. Here
they were mastering agriculture, when the Sioux war broke out and the
settlers demanded their removal. Those who had taken up farms, thereby
abandoning tribal rights, were allowed to remain, but the others were
transferred to Crow creek, on Missouri river, whence they soon escaped.
Their privations and sufferings were terrible; out of 2,000 taken to Crow
creek only 1,200 reached the Omaha reservation, whither most of them fled.
They were assigned a new reservation on the Omaha lands, where they now
remain, occupying lands allotted in severalty. In 1890 there were 1,215
Winnebago on the reservation, but nearly an equal number were scattered
over Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan, where they now live chiefly
by agriculture, with a strong predilection for hunting.





Next: Mandan

Previous: Toiwe're



Add to del.icio.us Add to Reddit Add to Digg Add to Del.icio.us Add to Google Add to Twitter Add to Stumble Upon
Add to Informational Site Network
Report
Privacy
SHAREADD TO EBOOK


Viewed 2748